77 Reasons Why William Shatner Is Awesome March 22, 2008by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: List,Shatner , trackback
Today is William Shatner’s 77th birthday. The original Captain Kirk is still going strong both acting as well as with all his other myriad of activities (as pitchman, writer, philanthropist, entrepreneur, etc.). He is an endless source of inspiration and entertainment and so we thought we would honor him with a list of the 77 reasons why we think he is awesome.
TrekMovie.com’s 77 reasons why William Shatner is awesome
77. Sold kidney stone for charity
76. Co-wrote "Believe," a book about hypothetic match between Houdini vs. Arthur Conan Doyle
75. Inducted Jerry Lawler into the Wrestling Hall of Fame
74. Drives race cars and motorcycles
73. Has traveled the world
72. Swam with dolphins and a 50 foot whale shark
71. Favorite color: leaves changing
69. Para glided at 72
68. Has building named after him at Montreal’s McGill University
67. Punked an entire town
66. Reported seeing UFO in Mojave desert in 1967
65. Did live TV in 50s
64. Has great recipe for cappuccino muffins
63. Is friends with Henry Rollins, did a duet "I can’t get behind that"…recreated here by puppets
62. Was immortalized in Lego
61. Talked to Koko, the signing gorilla
60. In "Fight Club" when Brad Pitt asks Edward Norton what celeb he would fight, he replies "Shatner"
59. Breeds horses
58. Speaks French
57. Can sell anything from Law Offices, to Bran Cereal, to Computers
56. Nominated for Emmy for playing character named "The Big Giant Head"
55. Appeared as himself in cult hit "Free Enterprise"
54.Was portrayed by John Belushi…and many since
53. Has his own fan club and a podcast dedicated to him called "Look At His Butt!"
52. On The Hollywood Walk of Fame and in the Broadcast & Cable Hall of Fame
51. Sang "My Way" to George Lucas
50. Shows his transformation and embrace of fandom in ironically titled memoire "Get a Life!"
49. Made movie about God in 1989, appeared as Satan on Comedy Central in 2005
48. Narrated the book of Exodus for CD
47. Plays paintball
46. Had his own customized limited edition Heinz ketchup bottle
45. King of 70s celebrity guest game shows
44. Competes in the "World Poker Tour"
43. Is the CEO of a computer animation company
42.Willing to laugh at himself
41. Was guest photographer for Playboy
40. First film role, "Brothers Karamazov" 1958…with more to come still
39. Knows how to handle a woman
38. Starred in movie made entirely in Esperanto, "Incubus"
37. Is active in environmentalism
36. Studied with Tyrone Guthrie, and won the Tyrone Guthrie Award
35. Name can easily be converted to adjective (Shatnerific, Shatastic, etc)
34. Has a degree in business
33. Was fired by a theater as business manager, then hired that same day as an actor
32. The Negotiator
31. Is Canadian
30. Is Jewish
29. Is a Vegetarian
28. Kingdom of the Spiders
27. Appeared on both "Circus of the Stars" and "Battle of the Network Stars"
26. Never appeared on either "Love Boat" or "Fantasy Island"
25. Brought Kirk back from the dead in his own "Shatnervese" books
24. Has his own video blog, ShatnerVision
23. Tek War
22. Michael Meyer’s mask from "Halloween" movies based on Shatner/Kirk mask
21. Set the standard for cops jumping on car hoods (+ boats, buses, planes, etc)
20. Inspired art show
19. Inspired a ballet
18. Inspired song "If William Shatner Can, I Can Too"
17. Took the term "Has Been" and turned it into a hit album
16. His 40+ year friendship with Leonard Nimoy
15. Appeared in 3 Broadway plays
14. Two words: Kirk-fu (or is that one word?)
13. Worked with role model, Spencer Tracy.
12. Is an award-winning equestrian
11. Did two great Twilight Zone episodes
10. Won two Emmys (plus a Golden Globe and a Saturn)
9. Nickname at Montreal West Hills High School: ‘Toughie’
8. Was the first TV interracial kisser (with Nichelle Nichols)
7. Killed a 9 foot tall kodiak bear with bow and arrow on ABC "The
6. Rocket Man
5. Denny Crane!
4. Starred in groundbreaking civil rights movie, "The Intruder" in in
3. Raises money for children’s charities through annual horse show
1. At 77 he is still active and entertaining the world
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILL FROM TREKMOVIE.COM
Although a staff effort, this article would be impossible without John Tenuto, our resident Shatnologist