Anton Yelchin: It Would Be ‘Bizarre’ For Abrams To Not Direct Star Trek Sequel + Bob Orci Soliciting Steven Spielberg To Help Convince Abrams January 23, 2011by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Abrams,Celebrity,Star Trek Into Darkness , trackback
As previously reported, producer JJ Abrams is awaiting the script for the 2012 Star Trek sequel, before deciding if he will also direct the film. However that isn’t stopping others involved from weighing in. Star Trek’s new Checkov Anton Yelchin says it would be "bizarre" without JJ Abrams in the director’s chair. And co-writer Roberto Orci says he is trying to solicit Steven Spielberg to help convince Abrams.
Yelchin "doesn’t know anything" about Trek sequel – but wants Abrams back
Speaking to MTV at the Sundance Film Festival, Anton Yelchin says "I really don’t know anything" about the next Star Trek movie, which should start shooting this summer, but Yelchin is sure that he would like to see JJ Abrams return to the director’s chair. The actor notes it would be "very, very bizarre to do it without him."
Watch the clip via MTV:
Yelchin explains his view thusly:
"I think the reason ['Star Trek'] works is because he’s so wonderful and he’s such a bright, bright fantastic human being and he just has this amazing energy, and I’m very grateful to him," Yelchin said. "It’s each director: ['Like Crazy' director] Drake [Doremus]! Drake crafted this movie, he picked those moments so well. Seeing it on screen, you see that touch of picking the right moments, and J.J.’s like that. He picked the right moments, you know, and I think that’s why people liked ‘Star Trek.’ "
Bob Orci trying to get Spielberg’s help to convince JJ – says it isn’t about money
Abrams decision on whether or not to direct the 2012 Star Trek sequel mirrors discussions from 2006 and 2007 when he also talked about awaiting the script for the first Star Trek to make his directing decision. In that case Abrams and the writers later noted that he had a lot of encouragement from those close to him, including his wife and one of his personal heroes, Steven Spielberg. So our report last week about Abrams waiting the script for the Star Trek sequel are par for the course.
And it appears there are those who are trying to replicate more from that period. Commenting on the TrekMovie talkback, Roberto Orci (when giving an update on what he is up to) says he is again trying to convince Steven Spielberg to help:
BobOrci: I’m multitasking. currently in the editing room of Cowboys and Aliens with Steven [Spielberg] and Jon [Favreau], telling [Steven Spielberg] to help us convince JJ [Abrams] to direct Trek, like he helped us convince him last time!
Orci also weighed in on the supposed idea that Abrams decision is about money:
BobOrci: read a lot of posts wondering if JJ is holding out for more money. You should know that all of our deals are pre-negotiated, so when JJ says he just wants to make a decision based on making sure he is right or the material, he means it, and we should all respect him for that.