Do you like Star Trek? Do you like to drink? Why not bring those together…and this week the Great Links finds a few folks who like to do just that. We also find common ground with Star Wars, more political Trek, search the Technobabble, surf Trek style, turn money into space ships, and so much more.
Trektinis: the Trek podcast for drinkers
There are many Star Trek related podcasts out there and that should be the subject of an entire future article (note to self). However Great Links just discovered a fun newish podcast called "Trektinis" which describes itself as "John and Jessie discuss Star Trek over Star Trek related martinis and other alcoholic beverages"…how awesome is that? Each show features a a review of a Trek movie or episode along along with new Trek-themed drink and lots of drinking. Go to their site and listen to the show and check out the recipes.
Star Trek v Star Wars: Can’t we all get along?
Speaking of things that can go together, what about Star Trek and Star Wars?
Many times The Great Links has found a new front in the ongoing war between the Trek and Wars franchises, but the recent pro Star Wars comments from Star Trek director JJ Abrams has i09 positing their list of 5 Ways To Make Star Trek More Like Star Wars. The best idea: Put Uhura In A Metal Bikini At Some Point.
Even More Trek The Vote
In our last two Great Links, we saw Star Trek invading the world of politics. The American elections are just a week away so it should die down, but the Trek references are still coming for now.
- Writer/actor and founder of Hollywood Conservatives Forum Steve Finefrock cites Star Trek in a blog at the Hollywood political blog Exile Street.
- A column at Florida Herald Tribune thinks politicians need to look to Trek to solve the current financial crisis, with Kirk’s guide to the economy
- Zachary Quinto’s pro-Obama comments in the Entertainment Weekly cover story got the noticed. The New York Post highlighted it in "Star Trek gets political. "And the left and right blogs got into the action as well: Liberal site Daily Kos highlights Quinto in its post Politics of Star Trek, while the conservative blog Dirty Harry’s Place decries liberal Hollywood with its post ‘To Boldly Go Where No Meterosexual Has Gone Before‘
- An opinion piece titled Be Logical Captain! (with accompanying artwork, below) in the NY Observer sees a bit of Kirk and Spock in the two presidential contenders.
Pictures of the week – Surfin Trek
Friend of the site (and Hollywood big shot) James Krieg, points us to the photo of the day at eppicsurf.com. It is of himself (as Spock) and his buddy Phil (as Kirk) at the ‘4th Annual Scare N Tear Halloween Surf Contest‘
And here is a second shot where James said he was ‘mind melding the wave.
Fan Art Of The Week: Money Oragami Trek
Oragami artist Won Park has found some creative uses for money — turning US currency into ships from Star Trek and Star Wars. Check out his gallery at DeviantArt.
Video of the week: top 10 technobabbles
Cinemassacre at Spike.com makes their choices for the top 10 technobabbles, but it appears they missed most of the technodoosies, especially from the technobabble-friendly Voyager (which ironically runs on Spike in reruns). Language warning!
- The Chicago Tribune ponders what it would be like If Star Trek handled the William Shatner-George Takei Feud
- io9 looks at Trek’s past movie posters and claims False Advertising in Star Trek Poster History.