The Star Trek movie is out, but the Tidbits keep on coming and so we keep reporting. Today we have news the President wants to get his Trek on. Also you can check out Leonard Nimoy doing a Trekkified Top 10. Plus premiere night fan videos, lots of interviews, and more. So dive in to the opening day Tidbits.
Reminder: Tickets available online (including IMAX)
As we will begin every tidbits, we remind you that you can now buy advanced tickets (including early shows) for Star Trek at Fandango. You can also get tickets for IMAX at Fandango. And by buying your tickets from Fandango, you are supporting TrekMovie.com. For locations that don’t have tickets available through Fandango, try movietickets.com.
Another Reminder: New Reader Review Page
TrekMovie has more site reviews lined up, but what about the fans? Well we have set up a page for reader reviews, so if you have seen the movie, write your own review.
Obama wants his Trek viewing
The day after he was elected TrekMovie outed President Obama, and since then the mainstream press have picked up on it as well, and now in an article titled ‘Trekkie in chief wants screening‘ the Politco is reporting that The President wants his own screening of Star Trek at the White House. The Politico story notes how Obama has often been compared to Vulcans due to his ‘no drama’ demeanor, and even quotes Leonard Nimoy regarding meeting Obama on a couple of occasions. The last known Presidential screening of a Trek film at the White House was Star Trek III for President Reagan in 1984.
In more political/Star Trek, the Deputy Editor of US News and World Report (who happens to be a Trekkie) sends in links to a couple of new opinion piece in the magazine:
- Robert Schlesinger: Star Trek marks a shift in the national mood
- James Pinkerton: "Star Trek Review: Who Would Captain James T. Kirk vote for? JFK, of Course.
TV Guide’s Big Movie Premiere 30 minute show
The TV Guide channel has a half our show dedicated to Star Trek including interviews. Worth watching.
Nimoy reads the top 10
Leonard Nimoy was on last night’s Late Show With David Letterman, here is the top 10:
Opening night video
Reelz Channel was at the Arclight opening of Trek and got some fan comments
SEND IN YOUR PREMIERE PHOTOS!
TrekMovie wants to see your premiere experience, so send in any interesting photos to tips [@] trekmovie [dot] com.
Chris Pine on CBS
John Cho on Jimmy Kimmel
Nimoy with Collider
Talk show list updated –
The Trek stars are fanning across the talk shows and TV stations, here are the latest videos. Tune in for these upcoming appearances:
- Friday 5/8: "Jimmy Kimmel Live" (ABC) – Chris Pine
- Friday 5/8: "Tavis Smiley" (PBS) – JJ Abrams
- Friday 5/8: "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" (NBC) – Leonard Nimoy & Zachary Quinto
Finally: All of Star Trek Voyager in two minutes
Need to catch up on Voyager…watch all of it in two minutes:
Even more Star Trek stuff for you:
- Philadelphia Inquirer article on Star Trek collecting (quoting our own John Tenuto)
- Newsweek has a great narrated rare photo essay about the history of Star Trek conventions
- The UK’s Sunday Mirror will include a free copy of the special souvenir issue of Star Trek Magazine
- Google announced they are excited about ‘a certain movie’ and so they have modified Google Calendars to include stardates
Thanks to all the tipsters