Another indication has emerged today that Star Trek (2009) producer/director JJ Abrams is moving towards a decision to direct the sequel. A new report details how he and Paramount are beginning to plan ahead, including rescheduling the film and exercising the actor options. Details below.
Abrams close to directing decision
The latest news comes from Deadline who are reporting that JJ Abrams is "is moving toward a commitment to direct Star Trek 2." This is consistent with Deadline’s past reporting and has been confirmed by TrekMovie sources. However, as has been reported before, no final decision (or announcement) will be made until Abrams approves the first draft of the script, which is currently being written (as indicated by the many comments from writers Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof during last weekend’s San Diego Comic Con).
Deadline also confirms TrekMovie reporting that Paramount are still eyeing two release options for the Star Trek sequel of either holiday 2012 or summer 2013. TrekMovie sources indicate that an announcement is likely to come on a release date and Abrams directing decision sometime in August. Deadline also reports that GI Joe 2 will likely slot into Star Trek’s June 29, 2012 release date so the studio will not lose the 4th of July holiday week, but again the studio has yet to make this official.
JJ Abrams directing his first Star Trek film – moving closer to decision for the sequel
Paramount exercising actor options
Probably the most significant piece of news in the Deadline report is that Paramount has exercised its options on the cast. When they signed on for Star Trek, all the main cast (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin) signed options to appear in two additional Trek films. Exercising these options is a big step as the studio could end up having to pay the actors if they miss their schedule. When money is involved, things are definitely serious. As reported yesterday, the recent activity on the Star Trek sequel shows that the final development phase work is finally happening, albeit six months after originally envisioned. Now that Super 8 is out, the Star Trek sequel is back on track.
As for Chris Pine, Deadline says he is expected to shoot the Star Trek sequel before the Jack Ryan reboot, which was previously said to be aiming to shoot in January 2012.
Paramount finally rounding up the cast for the Star Trek sequel
POLL: Want JJ Abrams back in captains chair?
Time for a new poll and a rare simple yes or no choice. Do you want JJ Abrams to return as director of the Star Trek sequel?