Great Links: Rosario Trek, Political Trek, Sports Trek + more September 26, 2008by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Great Links , trackback
The Great Links took a week off, but Star Trek never takes a week off so we have a lot to catch up with. We have Rosario Dawson expressing her Trek love, Trek getting into politics, Trek getting into sports, new Trek video and art, lots of Trek on the Lists, and much more…check it out.
Rosario Dawson wanted in to Abrams Trek
Last year TrekMovie highlighted a segment from the Conan O’Brien Show where Rosario Dawson (Sin City, Clerks II) talked about what a huge Trekkie she was and she even spoke a little Klingon (unfortunately NBC removed that video from YouTube and it isn’t online at NBC.com or anywhere else we can find). Now our buds over at UGO have an interview up with Dawson where she talks about the post-Conan Trekkie surge she has enjoyed and how she really wants to be in a JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. Ironically she has a role in the new Eagle Eye (opening today), produced by Orci and Kurtzman…come on Bob and Alex, get Rosario into a Trek movie!
Trek The Vote
The US is in the midst of an active election season. The fine folks at Comedy Central have put forward Ten Tips for the Trekkie Voter:
- Federation club "rank" will not get you any special treatment at the polling place.
- You may not sign in with the registrar in Klingon.
- Comparing Barack Obama to Mr. Tuvok makes you an intergalactic racist.
- Do not ask the voting official to make the "swoosh" sound when you enter the booth.
- The chances of being split in two due to a "voting booth accident" are extremely slim.
- Scott Bakula is not a good write-in for any spot on any ticket.
- Joe Biden is running for Vice President, not "Number One."
- Sarah Palin is the Borg Queen.
- You cannot vote to allow Vulcans to mate more often.
- Do not say "Make it so!" out loud when you’re done voting.
The Great links looked around to see if there were any organized Trek voting groups and actually found a "Trekkies for Obama" group, but can’t find one for McCain (but if you know of one send in a link so we can show both sides). There is also a Trekkies for Obama button. Again if there is any Trek/GOP merchandise out there, let us know.
Speaking of Politics, Steven Colbert has issued a new John McCain green screen challenge and again, Star Trek is there…here is the best of the lot.
If you want a real political debate Trekkies can get into, how about picking between these two campaigns…
Lists lists lists
Our pals at the fun io9 site just love lists, and they seem to put Star Trek into every one of them…here are some from the last couple of weeks.
- Odo’s turbolift meltdown in "The Forsaken" is honored in The Best Skin Melting Scenes From SciFi
- Trek is again cited in Sickest Teleportation Accidents in the Universe
- The Breen are held as the ‘unintelligible’ example of How To talk Like A Space Pirate
- Last, but not least, Kirk’s demise makes it in 12 Weakest Deaths In SciFi History
Trek Art of the Week
Psychadelic artist Astralzoology has recently uploaded a couple of Trippy Star Trek themed items to his Flickr page…it might help if you are on something to appreciate them.
Quote of the week – dude that’s harsh
Scoring was so rare you might have thought you were at a Star Trek convention.
– Analysis of Auburn v Mississippi State football game
Video of the week: a preview of a Who/Trek Xmas miracle
Our friend Kelvington is at it again. This Christmas he will be releasing a special short Doctor Who / Star Trek mashup movie. Here is the trailer.
- As part of their ‘Star Trek 101′, IGN takes a look at the ‘In Between Years‘ covering the Trek franchise in the 70s
- WV Record legal analysis concludes that ‘the needs of the many’ has no place in a courtroom with "Why The Star Trek defense doesn’t work".
- In a BuddyTV Interview, actor Sam Witwer, who has appeared in the Smallville, Battlestar and Star Wars (via a game), says he wants Star Trek to be his next franchise.
- The Bleacher Report have a mock script titled ‘Star Trek and the Raiders‘
- Spartan Daily: Editoral looks at A social Commentary, a mirror on society and exploring the final frontier
- Orions rank 8th on College OTR’s Top 10 Pop Culture Pirates.
Help a sick child’s Trek Dream come true
Lastly, the Great Links is often light hearted, but some things should be taken seriously. The Northern Scot reports that the Dreams4U charity is trying to help 11 year-old Grant Alderton fulfill his Star Trek dream. Grant, who suffers from a number of ailments and has ‘died twice,’ spends much of his time in his room and the charity is trying to raise money to give him a Trek-themed ‘extreme bedroom makeover.’ TrekMovie can think of no better people to help out than his fellow Trekkies. See the Northern Scot article for details on how you can help.