On Friday we had all the pics of the Star Trek stars at the Hollywood premiere of the new Star Trek movie, and now better late than never we have the TrekMovie black carpet interviews and snippets from 12 Trek celebrities past and present videos, including Simon Pegg, Damon Lindelof, Bob Orci, George Take, Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis .
For the Hollywood premiere the black carpet was much like an airplane. There was a first class section behind the photo wall with little studios set up for the stars to talk to the big networks (E!, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, The Insider, etc) and then the coach section for the rest of us (myself included). But us folks in coach got some time with a few Trek stars past and present. I have split the video into two parts, with the ‘classic’ Trek people in one and cast and crew from the new Star Trek movie in the second.
New "Star Trek" Stars chat with TrekMovie
For the most part the Supreme Court and main stars of the Star Trek movie stayed in the sectioned off makeshift TV studio, but a couple of that group swung by ‘coach’ to say. Plus I got to chat to a few other members of the cast who stopped and answered some questions.
- Simon Pegg (Scotty) about working with Chris Doohan and his thoughts on using industrial locations for Engineering on the Enterprise
- Greg Ellis (Olsen) on wearing a red shirt, comparisons with working on Trek and Pirates of the Caribbean and doing wire work
- Ben Cross (Sarek) was very jocular and we talked about his prep work for Trek and what he would like in a sequel
- Faran Tahir (Robau) talked about the toughness of Robau, the Robau internet phenomenon, and how he as a Trek fan views the film. (we also talked off camera about mutual friends back at college)
- With Clifton Collins (Ayel) I have a long interview with him coming up (including discovering we went to the same High School a few years apart), so I just asked him to show off some of his Romulan skills
- Damon Lindelof, who I recently recorded an commentary track with for the upcoming TNG movies Blu-ray release, stopped for a couple of questions: one on the difference between time travel in Star Trek and Lost and one on the Star Trek sequel
- As time was running out, Bob Orci stopped to give a message to the TrekMovie community
TNG/TOS Stars drop by
There were also a few stars from Trek past on hand to see the new Star Trek film.
Highlights of the TrekMovie black carpet video:
- Walter Koenig (TOS – Chekov) about seeing a new Chekov and meeting with Anton Yelchin
- Marina Sirtis (TNG – Troi) and Jonathan Frakes (TNG – Riker) on not being in the movie and Sirtis says the TNG cast is "done" but they speculate on who should play the young versions of their characters (picking Zac Efron for Riker and Vanessa Hudgens for Troi).
- Rod Roddenberry on his thoughts on the new movie and his mother’s final work as the computer voice
- George Takei on the difference between premieres and John Cho’s Sulu
- William Shatner was not there, but Kevin Pollack dropped by to sub for him
Thanks to Paul Camuso of ShatnerVision for video assistance (although all the bad camerawork was my own doing). Also thanks to my red carpet buddy Staci Layne Wilson of SciFi Wire, for sharing celebs and questions and answers.