Simon Pegg: Star Trek Sequel Script Is “Amazeballs” + Bob Orci Talks Fan Feedback [UPDATED]

Time for another update from Simon Pegg, Star Trek’s new chief engineer. Following up from yesterday’s comments about the state of the movie industry and franchise films (like Trek), today Pegg clarified and offered the inside buzz on the sequel script, coining an interesting word. Plus producer/co-writer Bob Orci has commented on the importance of fan feedback.

Pegg: Star Trek ‘Amazeballs’

Yesterday TrekMovie and others reported on Simon Pegg’s twitter comment about Star Trek being "absolutely the result of execs favouring familiarity" along with linking to GQ the article "The Day the Movies Died". Today Pegg clarified his comment with the following very positive tweet about the upcoming Star Trek sequel:

As we know, Bob Orci and Damon Lindelof are currently trying to wrap up the first draft of the Star Trek sequel script. It is unlikely that the script has been sent to any of the actors, so Pegg’s "word on the bridge" is probably related to feedback from the creative team behind the film.

UPDATE: Pegg confirms he hasn’t seen script

Some sites took Pegg’s tweet as confirmation that the Star Trek sequel script is finished and he had seen it. On Monday Pegg sent out yet another clarifying tweet noting "Just to clarify, I have not seen anything of the new Star Trek script, I have just heard good things from HQ",

Pegg is "amazeballs" excited about Star Trek sequel

Orci talks fan feedback

In our recent update on the Star Trek sequel, TrekMovie conveyed a question from Bob Orci and Damon Lindelof about what to call the deflector dish. The article has spawned hundreds of comments in just a couple days, but some question if they are really listening. Orci answered that earlier today saying:

boborci: Thank you all for commenting! truly appreciated. to those who cynically think we are asking dumb questions, let me say that, although u r right that we may have a pre-formed opinion before we ask, we also value input, can change our opinion, and learn from the variations in responses.

Orci also revealed that the team have already worked the name of your humble editor in the Star Trek script. Could I be the name of a red shirt, or a planet, or maybe a horrible infectious disease? I can’t wait and am deeply honored.

Orci also noted TrekMovie community feedback about the recently passed Del Trame (aka TrekMovie commenter British Naval Dude), saying they he will "keep British Naval Dude in mind" and that he "remembers him fondly".

New Sequel logo

Based on some fan feedback, TrekMovie is trying out a new logo icon for this Star Trek sequel article. The art is courtesy of TrekMovie reader Stefan Chab. Feedback is welcome (or other ideas).

Stefan Chab’s take on a Star Trek 2012 promo symbol

Hugh Hoyland
February 24, 2011 9:47 pm

It’ll rock, I’m sure of that! Cant wait to see it on the big screen.

Canon Schmanon
February 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I’ve seen too many sequels suck to feel totally confident about Trek, but based on the first one, I’m not too worried, either. Hopefully, like Chris Nolan’s Batman films, the next one will be even better.

Dr. Cheis
February 24, 2011 9:55 pm

I think “2012” would have been better. Only one more character so you wouldn’t have to shrink the font down too much.

Son of Sarek
February 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Fascinating that Star Trek 12 will be released in 2012! The 12 within the starfleet insignia is fitting.

February 24, 2011 9:57 pm

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THE LOGO THAT LOOKS SHARP!!!! Congrats Anthony on being named to the movie

February 24, 2011 10:00 pm

The only message i have for the writers and the producers is to have as much fun as possible in making the next film as it hopefully will be for the audience to enjoy. At the end of the end day, that’s what it’s about, as with any movie, including STAR TREK: a fun ride, the escapism, the thrill of taking us away from the ordinary of our lives into something extraordinary that was conceived and developed from your imagination.

If it’s not fun for you in writing and producing it then there’s no point in making the mofo.

February 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: 3

Might look good with the “20” stacked on top of the “12”. Perhaps with “20” in a slightly smaller font.

February 24, 2011 10:03 pm

I am all for a reference to Del Trame in ST ’12. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

February 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Nice! Love the logo too. Congrats on the mention Anthony.

February 24, 2011 10:05 pm

The excitement builds… very much looking forward to new Star Trek.
Leave it to Simon Pegg to find the perfect words to describe things! ;-)

February 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Yes, as long as…

Uhura does not leave her station during every single crisis to “Check on her boyfriend”

There are no black holes that are only black holes until the script needs them to be time travel portals

Entire fleets are not destroyed in less then 30 seconds (the total time the enterprise stalled out and lagged behind the fleet)

kirk does not get promoted from cadet to super grand admiral

The enterprise isnt a beer factory

The enterprises interior (Huge) fits with its exterior details (smaller, same as TMP enetrprise)

there is no villan of the week hell bent on once again detroying earth for no reason whats so ever

Then yes, im sure it will rock!

February 24, 2011 10:20 pm

wtv man. I don’t think our opinions should matter in a pure art-form project. As Nicholas Meyer once said “art isn’t a democracy”.

You do what you gotta do bob. Don’t worry about us trek-fans.

Son of Sarek
February 24, 2011 10:21 pm

489 days, or 70 weeks until launch! Anthony, will you resurrect the countdown clock?

February 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I am sad about British Naval Dude. I wonder what happened. He was so young, it’s a tragedy.

I agree with #11. #12 put it too harshly but let’s hope there is no more gigantic blows to the heart of Trek like the destruction of Vulcan. Jeez.

Keep the fun, just make the next one a little smarter, deeper, and kinder. Fingers crossed.

Harry Ballz
February 24, 2011 10:29 pm

If they allude to Del Trame (British Naval Dude) in the sequel, will that mean the movie is Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-rated?

February 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Maybe a Mayan temple behind the logo might be appropriate too–after all, you need a little Armageddon to sell a few more tickets! :-D

Gabriel Bell
February 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Pascale: well deserved!!!

February 24, 2011 10:34 pm

I’m with you, matey. Puttin’ BND in yon Trekky filmy be obvious to a bonke knerck such as me.

February 24, 2011 10:37 pm

BTW I’m hoping to see the Enterprise execute a Pascale Maneuver in the film.

Son of Sarek
February 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Or perhaps an Admiral Pascale from a Starbase.

Michael Hall
February 24, 2011 10:48 pm

“Pegg: Star Trek ‘Amazeballs’

Sorry, Mr. Pegg, but as a Scotsman once put it, “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. . .”

Bill Peters
February 24, 2011 10:52 pm

The Ghostbusters omage was good but this new one is intersting but keep working on it.

Henry Blake's Plane
February 24, 2011 10:54 pm

I really like the new logo. It looks great.

Hat Rick
February 24, 2011 10:55 pm

The new logo is very good — thanks, Anthony.

I’m sorry to read of the passing of a TrekMovie regular, and at such a young age. My deepest condolences to those who knew him.

Star Trek is about hope for the future. Let us not forget the past as we move forward into it.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
February 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks Bob for reading my post in getting BND into the Movie. We all here really thank you for that. Also. If you put Anthony Pascale’s name into the movie. Make him a red shirt. We all know what happens to red shirts. Arrrrrrr

February 24, 2011 10:57 pm

I wanna be in the movie! You dont even have to pay me! In fact ill pay you! lol

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
February 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Anthony. I do like the new logo. I think Bob Orci and the Court should use that for the Movie poster.

February 24, 2011 11:03 pm

I’m glad they finished the script. I was scared when there was still so much up in the air… I used to write and usually by the end I would hate my own story. I wish we could get Orci thoughts on how he felt immediately after they were finished. I really hope its an exploration story. Ok signing off because I’m sleep rambling.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
February 24, 2011 11:05 pm

One things is certen. It is great to have writers of Star Trek come to the hard core fans like us and ask our advice on Trek. I don’t know of any other writers of any other franchises that would do that. Not Star Wars and not Harry Potter or anything. Thank you Bob for letting us crazy Trek fans on Trekmovie be a small part of the movie.

Hastur Lovecraft
February 24, 2011 11:06 pm

the logo is fine…just this time…unlike Trek 11…make a Star Trek movie,and kill that jar jar thing that follows Scotty around.

February 24, 2011 11:27 pm

February 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Looking forward to the sequel :)

February 24, 2011 11:30 pm

I only became a Trekkie last December, and I’ve got to admit that this has got me really hyped! my entire family thinks I’ve got crazy because Trek is the only thing I think/talk about now, but until I see this movie next year, I swear I will not shut up.

I only have one wish for this next movie:

Please, PLEASE put Christine Chapel in there!

February 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Everyone seems a little obsessed with “balls”, “bulges” , “packages”…:) or is it just me? No. Don’t think so…

I will certainly be listening and watching for a Pascale and the British Naval Dude’s names in the next movie.

I don’t know what to call the whatsydoesit deflector thingy. All I care is that it works and does not interfere with some good, honest loving (nookie) scenes between Kirk and his Jasmia…(a gal can dream, s’pose). It really does not bother me that the Enterprise looks bigger further away than it does up close. LOL

I guess the engineering section should not look like a brewery. Anyway, I thought that I had fixed that – Kirk had Scotty do a complete redesign and refit of engineering, because of all the beer, scotch (Scotty), brandy (McCoy) etc that was being made and stashed. It was weighing the ship down… It was one of his first big command decisions, which did not make him overly popular among some.

So there it is, Bob Orci. All sorted. It should make for some *interesting* scenes…:)

Anthony Thompson
February 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Amazeballs: Love it.

Logo: Pass.

Ensign Pascale: Your days are numbered.

British Naval Dude: That was very thoughtful and classy of Bob to take note of his passing.

Anthony Thompson
February 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Speaking of ‘your days are numbered’, can we please have a countdown clock?

February 24, 2011 11:59 pm

I love the blue of the logo – it reminds me of those gorgeous Chris Pine blue eyes! The background seems a little dark perhaps, but overall, very stylish!

Christine Chapel could be played by Olivia Wilde? unless there is already an actress playing Nurse Chapel. McCoy did call out to a Nurse Chapel in the Star Trek 09 film but we did not see her though.

February 25, 2011 12:03 am

I think the 12 will throw the non-fans off “WHY DOES IT SAY THIS?” not knowing STXII is the 12th film in the series.

But I love the logo! <3 The simplicity and the blue on black is just awesome.

February 25, 2011 12:07 am

14: GarySeven:

British Naval Dude died of a heart defect which required several operations over the years, the first being right after he was born. Apparently, 37 is considered a good run for individuals who are born with it. Definitely too short a time.

February 25, 2011 12:32 am

Aside from asking again to put William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as Prime Kirk and Prime Spock intot he movie ;) I hope that the bridge of the Enterprise won’t look as sterile and hospital-like as in the first movie.

Also, please do not make the Enterprise bigger than the TOS-Enterprise. It simply doesn’t fit the ship to be as big as a Star Destroyer.

Jerry Modene
February 25, 2011 12:46 am

#33 – they did say Nurse Chapel’s name in the movie – when Kirk’s hands got big and McCoy called for her. We may have seen her, too – they never did say who that cute nurse was that Kirk said hello too when he first was taken into Sickbay.

February 25, 2011 12:48 am

February 25, 2011 1:19 am

#39 AJ-
Thank you.

February 25, 2011 1:23 am

in the first movie i was three times. alas, i am afraid i will have to rent an own cinema for a month for 12… :)) i also would love to be of some help for the script and i am very curious if the movie will really be influenced obviously by our – the fans – input. for instance in the case of khan or not khan and so on.

i only am very dissapointed about one thing:this team should have done the last next generation movie. even nemesis would have been so much bigger, molded by their hands!

February 25, 2011 1:50 am

As long as the script is strong in the sense of The Dark Knight and not a pile of horse crap like Transformers 2 then I will be there and love the film.

I have to accept that things are different now so best to go in with an open mind.

February 25, 2011 2:05 am

This is going to be awesome. One more good film before the world ends. lol. Congratulations to Mr. Anthony on getting into the film! I think you’ll be the name of a horrible disease. lol.

February 25, 2011 3:51 am

So, this is to be a sequel to “SPACEBALLS”?

Let´s see the Enterprise travelling at “ludicrous speed” at last!

February 25, 2011 4:05 am

About that new avatar for Star Trek’s sequel. Perhaps just a number 2 inside the delta? ’12 is barely legible.

February 25, 2011 4:12 am

48. When I say barely legible… I mean as a tiny avatar obviously.

Among the Dept insignia inside the Delta, I do recall once seeing something that looked like this:-

Now that’s the symbol for pye. What I’ve never been able to work out, is what depart did that represent?

Why am I bringing this up? Well, it could work as a roman numeral… missing the bottom bar though.

P Technobabble
February 25, 2011 5:01 am

I’m guessing Pascale is the name of a ship.