The CBS Consumer Products presentation at the Star Trek con in Las Vegas mostly covered previously reported stuff, but there were a few new tidbits for Trek merchandise, like the USS Enterprise Pizza slicer. But the most interesting bit of information came from a response to a fan question about TNG on Blu-ray. See below for a breakdown of what is to come from CBS.
Next Gen on Blu-ray?
All three seasons of the originalStar Trek are now available in HD, but what about TNG? In a response to a question about TNG on Blu-ray, CBS Consumer Products VP John Van Citters told the crowd in Las Vegas that releasing Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray was much more "problematic" than the original Star Trek, due to how the TNG original effects shots were composited, and how that makes the transfer to HD "incredibly difficult without making them look awful." However, he also said that there is "a lot of conversations going on" within CBS on how to convert TNG to HD, and Van Citters expressed optimism noting "It is being worked on and I expect it will happen, it is just a technical challenge."
Following his talk, I confirmed with Van Citters that even though he is optimistic that the challenges will be met, as of now there is no specific plan or budget for the project within CBS. So this is still something that is a long-term project.
More CBS updates on products, Exhibition & The Experience
Here are some more highlights from Van Citters talk and from my chat with him following the presentation:
- Think Geek will follow-up the popular Star Trek spork with a number of other "unique and fun" items, the first of which is the USS Enterprise Pizza Slicer coming in the fall (see photo below)
- The next Star Trek poster from Alamo Drafthouse/Mondo will be the Borg queen (see photo below)
- QMx is developing USS Kelvin salt & pepper shakers (as seen in the Star Trek 2009 movie)
- HeroClix will be making "multiple" Star Trek miniature games, including a game set in the new Star Trek 2009 movie universe, and one in the ‘classic’ Star Trek series, with both ship and character miniatures
- CBS is still "committed" to a new Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas, but there is no news to report on progress at this time
- CBS is hoping to bring Star Trek: The Exhibition to cities outside of California, including the East Coast, in 2011 and beyond
- StarTrek.com will be launching a “Starfleet Academy” bookstore with Academy branded items just like those from a college bookstore
POLL: Want your HD TNG?
If CBS remastered TNG and released on Blu-ray, would you buy it? Or would you possibly watch HD TNG via a streaming service (with advertising support) via CBS.com, StarTrek.com, Hulu or other streaming service.