Star Trek ARG Update 4 April 20, 2009by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Games,Star Trek (2009 film),Star Trek ARG , trackback
The Star Trek Alternative Reality Game has been abuzz with activity over the weekend and into today. TrekMovie has already done three articles on this game, but it is very complex and so TrekMovie has designated one of our community members to try and sort it all out in this fourth update.
STAR TREK ARG UPDATE APRIL 20TH
by Aliotsy Andrianarivo
There are more exciting developments with the Star Trek ARG. But first…
A quick review:
The Star Trek Alternative Reality Game began a couple of weeks ago after some fans spotted URLs on the walls of ‘Star Trek Dance Party’ photos up at thecobrasnake.com, these clues led to more sites, which in turn led to more clues. Here are the previous three TrekMovie articles on the Star Trek ARG:
- April 10th – first article identifying ‘binary’ sites
- April 15th Update, identifying ‘Malak0′
- April 17th Update: more ‘PHP chat’
…and now to the new stuff [all new clues identified by the date of this report, even if they clue may have come up yesterday, just easier to keep track]
April 20 Clue 1: 2387-42.com chat updated – leading to Twitter
As anticipated by PHPChatUser5’s comment on Friday to meet back “in 2,” the chat participants on viral site 2387-42.com logged in again on Sunday at around 5pm GMT:(Translation courtesy of “StarTrekkie” and “Commodore RedShirt”)
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) “Ca”?
* PHPChatUser1: “Ca”?
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) Is somebody here? Please type something here.
* PHPChatUser1: 誰かいる？誰か何かタイプしてよ。
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) Don’t wait, input something here! Now!
* PHPChatUser1: ふざけないで、何か入力してってば！！早く！！
* user3 Janus (german) Calm down. I’m here, surprisingly. I think I have found the trajectory. Well, I am close to it. Maybe I should ask “Ca”.
* PHPChatUser3: Beruhig dich mal. Ich bin hier, überraschenderweise. Ich glaube, dass ich tatsächlich die Flugbahn herausgefunden habe. Naja, ich bin nah dran. Vielleicht sollte ich „Ca“ fragen.
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) I’m working on my frequency. But Fe has not made contact with me. He’s okay?
* PHPChatUser1: “Fe”と僕で周波に取り組んでたんだ。でも、彼僕に連絡してこなくなって。彼大丈夫？
* user3 Janus (german) You should relax and have fun with this duty! Take it as an opportunity. We are bigger and stronger than these people. Women will finally take notice of you. I bet they have noticed me.
* PHPChatUser3: Du solltest dich entspannen und Spass an der Sache haben! Nimm es als eine Möglichkeit. Wir sind größer und stärker als die meisten. Frauen werden dich endlich wahrnehmen. Sie haben mich bestimmt schon bemerkt.
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) You’re serious? Because we can not trust anyone! We could be killed if we are caught! ! Even though I’m tired of this, you are risking the lives of so many people I can not even imagine.
* PHPChatUser1: 君本気？僕ら、誰も信用できないんだってば！いつ捕まって殺されるかもしれないんだよ！！僕、全然眠れもしないのに、君は想像も出来ないくらい多くの人間の命を危険にさらして。
* user3 Janus (german) Try not to focus on it.
* PHPChatUser3: Versuche, dich nicht darauf zu fokussieren.
* user5 Unknown (english) “Ca” is dead.
* PHPChatUser5: “Ca” is dead.
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) What? How do you know?
* PHPChatUser1: 何？どうして分かったの？
* user4 Candir (spanish) Just because he is not here does not mean he is dead.
* PHPChatUser4: Sólo porque él no está aquí no significa que está muerto.
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) I think maybe I should go try to find him Can I go to his place? His device is very important.
* PHPChatUser1: 彼を探し出さなきゃ！彼の所に行っていい？彼の道具が必要なんだ、多分僕が行くべきだと思う。
* user5 Unknown (english) There’s nothing to find. Except the device. He lost it, and now one of them has our only comm. unit! Why do you think he gave us its location? He is gone.
* PHPChatUser5: There’s nothing to find. Except the device. He lost it, and now one of them has our only comm. unit! Why do you think he gave us its location? He is gone.
* user3 Janus (german) How do you know?
* PHPChatUser3: Das kannst du nicht wissen!!
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) “Ca”? What should I do? Should I go there?
* PHPChatUser1: “Ca”？どうしたらいいんだろ？僕、行くべき？
* user3 Janus (german) Her name is "0" you idiot!!! How hard is it to remember the stupid codes? Are you a total moron? Do you have an image of your mother by your bed? I’d be surprised if you did not wake up in your own urine every night.
* PHPChatUser3: Ihr Name ist „O“, du Trottel!! Wie schwer ist es, sich diese dämlichen Codes zu merken? Bist du denn ein kompletter Vollidiot? Hast ein Bild deiner hässlichen Mutter neben deinem Bett – bin überrascht, dass du nicht jede Nacht in deinem eigenen Urin aufwachst.
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) You’re wrong This is all a mistake! We have to go home.
* PHPChatUser1: これって間違ってるよ、やばい予感がする。全部間違いだったんだ！家に帰ったほうがいいよ！！
* user4 Candir (spanish) It is no longer ours.
* PHPChatUser4: Ya no es la nuestra.
* user5 Unknown (english) There is NO going back! There is NO Federation to stop him, we MUST move on without “Ca”!! Their ONLY fighting chance is if we get this thing sent!!
* PHPChatUser5: There is NO going back! There is NO Federation to stop him, we MUST move on without “Ca”!! Their ONLY fighting chance is if we get this thing sent!!
* user3 Janus (german) Ok, nobody needs your yapping. I’m doing this for Karnis. Btw, I think I’m near the coordinates we have to focus on.
* PHPChatUser3: OK, keiner braucht dein Gequatsche. Ich mache das für Karnis. Übrigens, ich bin nah dran an den Koordinaten, für die wir es anvisieren müssen.
* user5 Unknown (english) And I am on the magnetic field, we didn’t calibrate for interference.
* PHPChatUser5: And I am on the magnetic field, we didn’t calibrate for interference.
* user4 Candir (spanish) I can send you some information on the frequency, Where do I send it?
* PHPChatUser4: Puedo mandarte alguna información en la frecuencia, ¿Adónde debo mandarla?
* user5 Unknown (english) Hold it for now, it’s useless without getting Ca’s wave pattern.
* PHPChatUser5: Hold it for now, it’s useless without getting Ca’s wave pattern.
* user4 Candir (spanish) We will be fine. keep paying close attention.
* PHPChatUser4: Estaremos bien. Presta buena atención.
* user3 Janus (german) Are we done with this?
* PHPChatUser3: Sind wir fertig hier?
* user5 Unknown (english) I’ll post locations as I find the key fields. I’ll need you to go them exactly when I say.
* PHPChatUser5: I’ll post locations as I find the key fields. I’ll need you to go them exactly when I say.
* user3 Janus (german) Ok, that’s it. Everyone is doing their job.
* PHPChatUser3: Ok, das war’s dann. Jeder macht jetzt seinen Job.
* user5 Unknown (english) Pictures are tough here, but we must start sending each other the access points – @PHPChatUser5. Not sure yet how to get Ca’s – but the input site will soon be live for all our fixes, hopefully generates something that works.
* PHPChatUser5: Pictures are tough here, but we must start sending each other the access points – @PHPChatUser5. Not sure yet how to get Ca’s – but the input site will soon be live for all our fixes, hopefully generates something that works.
* user3 Janus (german) I hope, they’ll find me
* PHPChatUser3: Ich hoffe, die finden mich.
* user5 Unknown (english) Don’t do anything stupid!
* PHPChatUser5: Don’t do anything stupid!
* ____user3 Janus (german) has disconnected____
* ____PHPChatUser3 has disconnected____
* user1 – Yarakashita (japan) I need to go now. I need to rethink all of this.
* PHPChatUser1: 僕もう行かなきゃ。全部、もう一度考え直さないと。
* user5 Unknown (english) Wait, we have to talk about how you’re handling this.
* PHPChatUser5: Wait, we have to talk about how you’re handling this.
* ____user1 – Yarakashita (japan) has disconnected____
* ____PHPChatUser1 has disconnected____
* user4 Candir (spanish) Do not worry. Even if this hasn’t worked before I know that we can resolve these things together.
* PHPChatUser4: No te preocupes. No trabajabas bien solo antes, y sé que podemos resolver estas cosas juntos.
* user5 Unknown (english) What does that mean?
* PHPChatUser5: What does that mean?
* user4 Candir (spanish) Nothing, it’s just that the idea of being left helpless with you sounds fun to me.
* PHPChatUser4: Nada, es sólo que la idea de estar dejado desamparado contigo me suena divertida.
* user5 Unknown (english) What?
* PHPChatUser5: What?
* user4 Candir (spanish) Think about it… and me.
* PHPChatUser4: Piénsalo y en mí.
* user5 Unknown (english) Don’t do this, not now.
* PHPChatUser5: Don’t do this, not now.
* ____user5 Unknown (english) has disconnected____
* ____PHPChatUser5 has disconnected____
* ____user4 Candir (spanish) has disconnected____
* ____PHPChatUser4 has disconnected____
Perhaps the most intriguing part of this chat is validation for Malak0, who many people suspected was not “in-game.”
Community members also quickly picked up on @PHPChatUser5, suspecting it was a Twitter username. Sure enough, there are Twitter accounts for all five chat participants:
Notice that these users are identified as php alpha, php beta, php gamma, php delta, and php epsilon, respectively.
April 20th Clue 2: ASSEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Email from Malak0
Remember Malak0 from last week? Well he is really part of the game and apparently he is fed up with all the clueless emails he’s been getting. He sent a mass email to many people who’ve contacted him, translated as follows (thanks Eric):
Enough is enough. Since no one realizes how great this device is, I’ll film it to show you. Maybe one of you is smart enough to tell me how to start it so that I can give it back to its rightful owner. I know none of you is since you all believed in the wrong color I gave about it. I’ll post the video tomorrow or in the following days.
(Not Robau, not Kirk, not It, not an Alien, not Nero – just MalakO)
April 20th Clue 3: Twitter conversation between “O” and “Fe”
Today, at about 5pm GMT, PHPChatUser5 (“O”) tweeted the following:
Here, start sending yours.
PHPChatUser4 (“Fe”) responded, shortly thereafter sending multiple tweets to “O,” who did not respond.(Translation provided by StarTrekkie)
@PHPChatUser5 I have completed my access point, but this is not why I write. What I am trying to say is, "Si" is not the only thing driving you crazy. . This is because I’m so crazy to say the following – this can be the end for us, for everything, and I know that at least I told you how I feel. There is nothing for us here and now. But I realized that although we have a house yet, although he has not gone mad and the dogs pursued him, still would not have anything. You were and are my only chance for happiness. I think you’ve ever felt that way. If I come, I pray you, let you come. Tell me where you are and I will be there.
April 20th Clue 4: “O’s” Twitter Profile Picture
“O” is the only chatter so far with a Twitter profile picture.
php epsilon’s user picture – notice anything?
A number of users noticed a pattern overlaying the picture, blew it up, and sharpened it:
Recognizing it as a QR Code, community members ran it through a decoder and found the following:
As it turns out, “Apus” is a constellation, first depicted by Johann Bayer in 1603. There also happens to be a painter named Johann Christoph Bayer, who lived from 1738 to 1812….and guess what he looked like:
Analysis: Who are these people?
There’s been a lot of speculation about the various chatters on 2387-42.com. They appear to be a team of time travelers, who have a tenuous alliance with each other, on a mission to the past – our present. Something cataclysmic seems to have happened in the future, and they’re trying to prevent it from happening. They aren’t here voluntarily – perhaps arriving in 2009 was a mistake. And someone is after them, as one member of their team has likely been killed.
This is what we know so far …
PHPChatUser1, Codename “Si”
Also known as/represented by: Silicon, alpha, HORI KEI, firstname.lastname@example.org
Real name: unknown
Associated “binary” site: 0101001101101001.jp
Associated nationality and language: Japanese
Profile: “Si” seems to be young, perhaps the youngest of the team. Technically proficient? Male, possibly not human (“We are bigger and stronger than these people. Women will finally take notice of you”). Upset and emotional over their current predicament.
PHPChatUser2, Codename “Ca”
Also known as/represented by: Calcium, beta, Camille Dupont, email@example.com
Real name: unknown (Karnis?)
Associated “binary” site: 0100001101100001.eu
Associated nationality and language: French
Profile: Dead, possibly murdered. Male. Suggested splitting up as part of the plan. Dropped a “comm. unit” in Paris, presumably retrieved by Malak0.
PHPChatUser3, Codename “Al”
Also known as/represented by: Aluminium, gamma, Albert Stein, firstname.lastname@example.org
Real name: Janus
Associated “binary” site: 0100000101101100.eu
Associated nationality and language: German
Profile: Male. Arrogant, but honor-bound to duty. Prone to “lose control.” Possibly not human. Reluctant participant in alliance.
PHPChatUser4, Codename “Fe”
Also known as/represented by: Iron, delta, Ferdinand Franco, email@example.com
Real name: Candir
Associated “binary” site: 0100011001100101.eu
Associated nationality and language: Spanish
Profile: Male. Likely past romantic link with “O.”
PHPChatUser5, Codename “O”
Also known as/represented by: Oxygen, Epsilon
Real name: Unknown
Associated “binary” site: 01001111.com
Associated nationality and language: American/English
Profile: Female. Seems to be the leader. Likely past romantic link with “Fe.”
There are still many open questions:
- What’s the significance of “APUS:01-05?”
- What is the device Malak0 has?
- How did “Ca” die? Who is after this team?
- Is there any more to be gleaned from the binary sites? Does “VI” mean anything more than the time of the first chat?
What do you think — and A NOTE before you comment
Before you post clues or speculation in the comments below, check the previous TrekMovie articles (including comments) to be sure they haven’t already been covered.
- April 10th – first article identifying ‘binary’ sites
- April 15th Update, identifying ‘Malak0′
- April 17th Update: more ‘PHP chat’
- ARG site Unfiction also has a thread dedicated to the game
- Thread at startrekmovie.com
- Chatroom (set up by TM community member ‘Tom’)
Ideally a forum should be created for this. If someone in the community does not create one, but if no one does that, we will create a special forum. Until then try and work things out in the comments below and/or work with the other communities.
TrekMovie will continue provide an updates on the Star Trek ARG as the game progresses.
Do you have any new clues or theories? Let us know?
but again, be sure to check previous posts to make sure they haven’t been covered. If you really think you are on to something, send in a clue to tips [at] trekmovie [dot] com. However, please keep tips to new (at least semi) verified clues, and not just speculation, that is what the comments are for.