The future of the Star Trek film franchise is currently being assessed by the powers that be at Paramount Pictures. It’s unclear if the next entry in the venerable franchise will involve the cast from the three previous Kelvin universe films, but one member of the new USS Enterprise crew says they are ready to return.
Quinto says Kelvin cast are ready to return
Zachary Quinto was a guest on CBS’ The Talk on Tuesday to promote the Netflix movie The Boys in the Band, and the subject of Star Trek came up. When asked if he was interested in returning for a fourth film as Spock, he replied:
Absolutely! We talk about it all the time as the crew of the Enterprise. We are all incredibly good friends in real life. All of us welcome the opportunity to go back and keep telling those stories.
However, it appears Quinto is in the dark about the status of the Trek film franchise, and he seemed to be a little concerned that all the activity on the TV side of Star Trek may have had an impact on the movies:
It seems like a bit of a saturated market at this point, so I am not sure what the plans are for the feature film versions of the franchise, but we are all here if they want to beam us up.
Quinto last played Spock in the third Kelvin film, 2016’s Star Trek Beyond. A follow-up to that film was announced in 2016 and was set to bring back Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk. That film was moving ahead towards production in 2019 when a breakdown in salary negotiations between Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth shelved it. But earlier this year, Chris Pine expressed optimism that he will return as Kirk, and last month Deadline reported that the new head of Paramount’s motion picture group is considering reviving the Star Trek 4 project, and considers bringing Star Trek back to the big screen a new priority for the studio.
Watch Quinto talk 4th Kelvin movie
Keep up with all the news on Star Trek 4 and upcoming Trek films at TrekMovie.com.