Last month it was revealed that Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth had walked away from the Star Trek 4 negotiating table over a salary dispute. While some saw this as Pine potentially exiting the franchise after starring as James T. Kirk in three feature film, the actor indicates that a resolution to the Chris Crisis may yet happen.
Pine would love to do Star Trek 4
Walking the red carpet at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) today, Chris Pine spoke publicly for the first time about the impasse with Paramount. Variety had a chance to ask Pine “what’s happening” with Star Trek 4, to which the actor replied:
I don’t know. I would love to be involved and we will see what happens. I’ll await the phone call. Until then, I look forward to it.
— Variety (@Variety) September 7, 2018
Chris still at the table?
The call Pine is waiting for presumably is one from his agent telling him that a deal has been struck. This implies that salary dispute talks remain ongoing and Team Pine has not entirely walked away from the table. As we reported last week, Pine’s co-star Karl Urban said he was confident a deal could be struck. At the time Urban noted, “I know Chris. We were all in touch recently and everybody wants to do it and make it happen.”
Cho is ready to go
Recently we also reported that John Cho was also awaiting word from Paramount about what is happening with Star Trek 4. While promoting his new film Searching, he told Extra, “I would love to do another [Star Trek]. I love those movies. I love that cast.”
The actor was also a guest on last week’s The Stars Wars Show, where he again joked about wanting to make “Sulu: A Star Trek Story,” and talked about parallels he sees between Star Wars and Star Trek fans. He also talked about his own fandom, including his theory of how Yoda is an old Chinese man and the most famous Asian in film.
Keep up with all the news on Star Trek 4 and upcoming Trek films at TrekMovie.com.