One of the hottest topics right now in the entertainment press is the fate of the 2012 Star Trek sequel. In the last week we have reported that an announcement is coming soon and that prep has been ongoing based on a detailed outline. Today an unconfirmed report has come out stating that the Star Trek sequel may be delayed.
Star Trek To Move To Holiday 2012?
Paramount and JJ Abrams really want to focus on his new movie Super 8. However, much of the press coverage over the last few days has been about Abrams next project, the Star Trek sequel which is currently scheduled for June 29, 2012. To date reports have been that Abrams will turn his focus to Star Trek in June, the final touches for the script will be wrapped up quickly and shooting will start in September. However, some are questioning whether this scenario is possible.
This evening Deadline picked up on TrekMovie’s recent report of prep work being done off an outline, and they added some news in an article titled "Can ‘Star Trek 2’ Morph From 70-Page Outline To Summer Tent Pole In 13 Months?" According to Deadline’s source the announcement that JJ Abrams has promised is coming soon will have "good news and bad news." The good news would be that Abrams will indeed return as director for the sequel, however Deadline is also hearing that the studio is “considering” moving the release to a Holiday 2012 date. Paramount would then possibly move their planned G.I. Joe 2 film (which starts shooting in August) from its current August 10, 2012 date into Star Trek’s June 29, 2012 spot. Deadline also reports that Paramount still hopes to shoot the Star Trek sequel ahead of the Jack Ryan reboot (which stars Chris Pine).
Paramount has not confirmed Deadline’s report.
JJ Abrams directing "Star Trek" – unconfirmed report says he will be back for sequel, which will be delayed to Holiday 2012 season
Wouldn’t be a surprise
It is not inconceivable that the Star Trek sequel would be moved. The schedule for Abrams first Star Trek film called for 13 months from the start of production to release, with an additional half a year of pre-production. That film then got an additional 4 1/2 months of post-production after Paramount decided to move it to fill out their summer 2009 schedule. Last summer Star Trek producer Bryan Burk told TrekMovie they had a similar plan for the sequel, which he hoped would be begin filming in June 2011, and Roberto Orci’s last target date to have a signed-off script was late March.
All that being said, it still possible to make the original date. While pre-production didn’t start as planned, there has been "prep" work going on based on the detailed outline. Plus, the main cast casting and much of the design work and construction of the USS Enterprise was already done for the first Star Trek, so pre-production will be shorter and can focus on new elements. And a source at ILM once told TrekMovie that work on many effects shots can begin during pre-production, especially on space-based shots which wont need live-action elements. One also has to look at Super 8 itself. JJ Abrams began the movie last September and will deliver it June 10, so could he not do it again with the Star Trek sequel?
Right now Trekkies seem to be already bracing for a delay. In a recent poll at TrekMovie, 48% of fans expected the film to be delayed.
And in our most recent poll, 1/3 of fans actually say they would prefer for the sequel to be delayed (likely to ensure quality isn’t hurt by the film being rushed).
TrekMovie will continue to monitor the situation with the Star Trek sequel and report any updates.