REPORT: Orci out as “Trek 3” director December 5, 2014by Brian Drew , Filed under: CBS/Paramount,Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
BREAKING: Deadline Hollywood’s Mike Fleming is reporting that Roberto Orci will no longer be at the helm of the next Star Trek film:
Roberto Orci is beaming off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek 3. Rampant rumors are swirling and I’ve confirmed there is fire behind the smoke that he won’t be directing. I even hear that Edgar Wright and others are on a short list to take the job. Orci stays on the project as producer, I’ve heard.
The film is intended to be Orci’s debut as a film director, as well as his first solo project after parting with long-time writing and producing partner Alex Kurtzman.
This story is very fluid at the moment, and TrekMovie will bring you more details as we get them.
UPDATE: Variety is also reporting that Orci is no longer directing.
Shatner Asked To ‘Keep Quiet’ About Star Trek 2016+ Orci Says Role Must Be ‘Worthy’ September 29, 2014by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Celebrity,Orci/Kurtzman,Shatner,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Over the weekend William Shatner confirmed he had been contacted by JJ Abrams about how there "might" be a role for him in the 2016 Star Trek movie. Today Shatner has revealed that he has been contacted again and told to stop talking about Star Trek. Details on that below, plus how the media is covering Bill’s weekend revelation, and there are some new comments from Orci here at TrekMovie and Bill and Orci are also tweeting to each other.
Orci Drops Out Of Power Rangers Movie To Focus On Star Trek September 20, 2014by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Celebrity,Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Roberto Orci is clearing the decks to get ready to focus on his upcoming directorial debut with the next Star Trek movie. More details below.
Confirmed: First Draft Of Star Trek 2016 Script Complete August 12, 2014by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
The next Star Trek movie (and thirteenth in the franchise) has passed a big milestone. A month ago we reported that Roberto Orci and co-writers Patrick McKay and JD Payne were "in the middle" of scripting the movie. Now, Orci exclusively tells TrekMovie the first draft has been completed.Orci/Kurtzman,Sci-Fi , comments closed
Roberto Orci is still at work with co-writers Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne on the script for the next Star Trek film, slated for 2016. But he has also added a couple of new movie projects as producer to his slate. TrekMovie has confirmed reports that Orci is teaming up with long-time writing/producing partner Alex Kurtzman to reboot the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles series as well as The Mummy. More details below.
Quinto: Orci ‘Will’ Direct Star Trek 2016 – Says Film Is ‘In Formation’ + 1st Look At Quinto In ‘Hitman: Agent 47 July 26, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Celebrity,Orci/Kurtzman,ST09 Cast,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Zachary Quinto was at San Diego Comic Con to promote a couple of non-Star Trek projects but he did talk a little Trek, notably about whether or not Roberto Orci will be directing the next film. See what he had to say, plus get a first look at Zach in Hitman: Agent 47.
JJ Abrams Offering Chance To Win Role In New Star Wars – Shows Off Elements From Ep. VII July 21, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Abrams,Sci-Fi,Star Wars , comments closed
Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness director (and 2016 Star Trek movie producer) JJ Abrams is currently helming the next Star Wars movie and just like he did with Star Trek he has a charity promotion going to give someone a chance to win a role in Episode VII. And in a new video he shows off a couple pieces from the movie. watch it below.
Orci Talks ‘New Discoveries’ For 2016 Star Trek Movie July 18, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Roberto Orci remains cautious but he had a little more to say about the 2016 Star Trek movie at a recent event – talking about the setting, character arcs and directing the film. Details below.
Orci Joins Power Rangers Movie Creative Team July 15, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Celebrity,Orci/Kurtzman,Sci-Fi , comments closed
Roberto Orci is currently co-writing the script for the 2016 Star Trek movie, but he has other projects going like the new TV series Matador (premiering tonight). And he just added another project to his plate – helping bring The Power Rangers back to the big screen. Details below.
Orci: Currently ‘In Middle’ Of Writing Star Trek 2016 Script + Directing Deal Not ‘Final’ Until Script Finished July 10, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
According to Roberto Orci he and his co-writers are in the middle of writing the script for the next Star Trek film, and even though it has been reported in the trades, he hasn’t officially signed a deal to direct the next film. More details below.Abrams,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
In a new interview, Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne – co-writers along with Roberto Orci for the upcoming Star Trek film – talk about their background with the franchise, where they see the next movie headed and how much producer J.J. Abrams is involved. Details from the writing team after the break.
Orci Hints At New Setting And Aliens For Next Star Trek + Talks Directing, Kirk Sex, Gay Character & More June 26, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
In a just released podcast interview, Roberto Orci discussed the challenge he faces as a first time director for the next Star Trek movie, dropped some hints for the setting and about new aliens, talked about visiting the set of Star Wars to pick up tips from JJ Abrams, opined on Kirk sex scenes and a gay character and more. See below for highlights and to listen tot he podcast.
On Tuesday night’s airing of The Wil Wheaton Project (only his 5th episode), the Star Trek: TNG actor turned sardonic geek culture commentator had a biting take on the recent news announcing the next Star Trek film was coming in 2016, but without JJ Abrams returning to the director’s chair. Watch the clip below.
New ‘Compendium’ Blu-ray Set Compiles Star Trek 2009 + Into Darkness IMAX + New Bonus Features [UPDATE: Available For Pre-order] June 23, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Abrams,DVD/Blu-ray,Star Trek (2009 film),Star Trek Into Darkness , comments closed
Today Paramount announced a new 4-disc Blu-ray set for the two JJ Abrams’ Trek features – 2009’s Star Trek in HD and the IMAX version of 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness . Also included are digital versions, all the previously released bonus material (including some only available via some retailers) and new bonus material. See box art and full disc by disc details below. [UPDATE: Now Available For pre-order]
Looper’s Rian Johnson To Direct Star Wars Episode VIII June 20, 2014by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Abrams,Sci-Fi,Star Wars , comments closed
BREAKING: Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness producer/director JJ Abrams is currently shooting the next Star Wars movie, but it appears he will not be shooting the one after that. Reports are coming out today that Looper director Rian Johnson is in talks to helm Star Wars: Episode VIII.Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
BREAKING: Variety is reporting that Roberto Orci, co-screenwriter and producer of the previous two Star Trek films, has been tapped to direct the third film in the rebooted franchise.
When approached by Variety to confirm, Paramount, Skydance Productions, and Orci’s representatives had no comment.
Orci, who will be making his directorial debut, is collaborating with newcomers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay on the screenplay. He had been lobbying to land the directing assignment, and needed to convince Paramount and it’s producing partner, Skydance Productions, that he could handle the demands of directing a major Hollywood blockbuster.
No details about the film are known, but the entire cast is expected to return. J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burke will produce along with Skydance’s David Ellison.
Roberto Orci in talks to direct “Star Trek 3″ May 9, 2014by Brian Drew , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Deadline Hollywood‘s Mike Fleming is reporting that Roberto Orci, co-screenwriter and producer of the previous two Trek films, has emerged as the frontrunner to direct the third feature and is currently in talks with Paramount and their producing partner, Skydance Productions.
According to Fleming, Orci has mounted “an aggressive lobbying campaign” to land the job, and should he get it,
…this would amount to another first-time director taking on a massive project, which has been hit (Snow White And The Huntsman) and miss (Transcendence, John Carter, 47 Ronin). Orci could be an exception on the positive side of the ledger because he has been involved for so long as writer and producer in shaping such big scale films as the Star Trek films as well as theTransformers and Amazing Spider-Man movies. I’m told that Paramount’s partner, Skydance Productions, has been in Orci’s corner, but Paramount needed convincing. Now it all could happen at warp speed.
Source: Deadline Hollywood
The pace certainly appears to be picking up. We’ll bring you more information as we get it.Orci/Kurtzman,ST: Into Darkness Sequel , comments closed
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the screenwriting and producing duo who have worked on some of Hollywood’s biggest franchises(Mission:Impossible, Transformers, Star Trek, the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man 2) have decided to end their feature film partnership so they can both pursue directing careers. Their company, K/O Paper Products, will not dissolve, however. The two are will continue to collaborate on various television projects, both current and upcoming.
Kurtzman is already set to direct “Venom”, a spinoff of the Spider-Man franchise. Orci’s directorial ambitions will be of great interest to Trek fans.
Orci is currently laser focused on the upcoming “Star Trek 3.” He’s already been tapped to pen the picture along with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, and he’s lobbying heavily to direct the production. The film’s co-producers, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and David Ellison’s Skydance, appear to be in favor of Orci helming the film, but people familiar with the situation say that Paramount is being cautious. If Orci lands the assignment, “Star Trek 3” would mark his directorial debut.
TrekMovie will bring you more information as we get it.
UNCONFIRMED RUMOR: Orci talked to CBS about Trek TV Show October 12, 2013by Matt Wright , Filed under: CBS/Paramount,Orci/Kurtzman,Rumor,Star Trek Into Darkness,Trek on TV , comments closed
Putting Star Trek back on TV has been increasingly talked about as of late. Out of nowhere a tweet from reporter Joe Michalczuk who was covering the Ender’s Game press junket for the UK’s Sky News claims Roberto Orci told him he had a meeting with CBS. This is to be considered a totally unconfirmed rumor and should be taken with a large grain of salt. We also do not know who else (aside from Bob) “they” refers to in his tweet:
Bob Orci just told me they’ve had a meeting with CBS to revive @StarTrek on TV…This made me v excited
— Joe Michalczuk (@joemichalczuk) October 8, 2013
Orci has commented here at TrekMovie in the past about his own personal interest in maybe, perhaps, if the stars align, thinking about doing an Abramsverse Star Trek TV show. But it was mostly just personal interest, the issues with CBS and Paramount being separate companies with differing agendas seemed to be a bit of a mess. So we’ll shall see if this gets confirmed in any way. Even if it’s true, don’t count on it being publicly acknowledged, preliminary meetings are just that, preliminary, often times it’s just feeling out the parties involved, in many cases doesn’t go anywhere, or doesn’t happen quickly, so things are kept under wraps until a more concrete agreement is made.
Post-STID interviews with Kurtzman and Abrams September 30, 2013by Matt Wright , Filed under: Abrams,Interview,Orci/Kurtzman,Star Trek Into Darkness , comments closed
With the recent release of Star Trek Into Darkness on home video, members of the production team have been out doing interviews. While we hear from J.J. Abrams and Roberto Orci quite a bit, Orci’s writing partner Alex Kurtzman tends to be quieter, so in a bit of a rarity, Blastr has some interesting remarks from Kurtzman on the writing of Into Darkness. J.J. Abrams was also out for interviews recently, talking to Comic Book Resources about Khan’s blood and his mystery box paradigm.